CALL (780) 672-4570
Menu Toggle


Can I drop the charges against a person?

- In Criminal Court, charges are laid by the Crown Prosecutor, not by the victim of the crime. The victim of the crime cannot remove or drop those charges, but you can talk to the Crown Prosecutor to let them know what you would like to have happen. Please talk to us if you want to find out more about this.

I'm in an abusive relationship, and want to leave - but I can't afford to.

If you are in an abusive relationship, you are able to get out of a lease without a financial penalty. Information about this can be found here.

You may also be eligible for a leaving abuse grant, which may be able to help you to live in a safe place. You can find information about this here; and may also be able to apply for ongoing funding that can help you to get settled in a safe place.

Will the Criminal Court Judge help with parenting orders?

No. The Criminal Court Judge and lawyers will only be dealing with the criminal charges in court. This won't include a parenting order.

A parenting order, and other issues around children of a relationship, will be dealt with in Family Court. Each parent will need to retain their own lawyer for Family Court (unless you are representing yourself). 

If you cannot afford a lawyer, you may be eligible to get help through Legal Aid Alberta.

I want to leave the abusive relationship - but I don't know where to start!

Thinking about leaving the relationship can be very frightening; or it might be intimidating to think about all of the things you have to do to get ready to leave. Sometimes, these feelings can be enough to make you decide to stay in the relationship.

Talking to a person you trust about your situation can help to break down those fears, and can help you to begin to see how you can change the situation that you are in. You can contact us if you want to talk.